Sunday 29 January 2012

Daily Devotional

Hello wonderful people. It's been a little while, I know, work has been crazy! But with all the running around, long work days and lack of rest what really keeps me going is my daily devotional. So that will be today's topic.

A daily devotional is something you do everyday that honours the divine externally or within yourself. It doesn't have to be elaborate or time consuming, actually it works best when it is something simple. It can be a prayer, a self healing, a mantra, a 5 minute meditation, a yoga practice. Anything that centres yourself and brings your spirituality to the forefront.

I find the best times to do your daily devotional is in the morning when you get up and/or in the night before you go to sleep. I do mine in the morning, I find its a great way to start the day and get me going. I am an Usui Reiki master so my daily devotional is a Reiki self healing and reciting the 5 Precepts of Reiki.


5 Principles of Reiki:
Just for today, I will not anger.
Just for today, I will not worry.
Just for today, I will be grateful.
Just for today, I will work hard on myself.
Just for today, I will be kind for others.

The Reiki Principles stress the importance of living in the present and that goals are easier to attain when you take it day by day. Most spiritual people wish to get to a state of mind and soul where they no longer hold anger, worry and stress and live their life in a state of gratitude and compassion for themselves and others. Many take vows to live these principles but it is hard over the long term because we are human and tend to get discouraged when we trip up. It is much easier when the length of time you concentrate of holding these principles is only for a day. Do this everyday and before you know it a week has gone by,  a month, then years.

When I am not as busy and time permits, my daily devotional also includes a yoga practice everyday before bed. For me it's a great way to let go of the stresses of the day and it relaxes and centres me.

Take some time and figure out your daily devotional. If you have an altar or shrine set up at home you can light a candle and say a quick prayer of gratitude and acknowledgement. Mantras, Affirmations as a part of  Neuro-lingustic programming, chakra works and self healing are all great ideas for daily devotionals. Figure out what works best for you. It should help to bring you closer to the divine and bring balance within yourself.
















No comments:

Post a Comment